There are two kinds of people in the world. People who exercise, and people who just don’t understand why the hell you waste so much time exercising. You can see it on their faces. The uncomprehending sneer at your sweaty clothes, your Barry’s shirt (“who’s Barry?”), your 24/7 running shoes (“how many colors do you own, anyway?”). Yes, being fit-shamed is a thing. So we put together a list of our favorite, semi-annoying phrases uttered by the non-exercisers. Any you would add to this list?
1. How do you have so much time to work out?
Our response: How do you have so much time to be caught up on The Bachelor? If it’s important to you, you make time.
2. (From and to women). I hear lifting anything more than 3 pounds makes you muscly. Aren’t you worried about getting big?
Our catty response: Aren’t you?
Our less-catty response: That purse you’re carrying weighs at least twenty pounds. I don’t see any muscles.
3. Why do you need to eat so much healthy food – you work out all the time? or “Oh, come on, one cupcake or slice of pizza or (insert other temptation here) won’t hurt you. Live a little.”
Our response: (Sigh). Sorry our healthy lifestyle is a wet blanket on your good time. Just let me have my chicken breasts and kale salad in peace.
4. Show me your abs!
Our response: (lifts up shirt and shows abs)
5. I wish I could look like you.
Our response: How about just looking like the healthiest version of you?
6. I really need to go with you.
Our response: (Opens calendar). Great, when are you free? I’ll be there Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
7. Working out is too expensive.
Our response: Not as expensive as the medical expenses from a couch-potato lifestyle.
8. You look so great! What’s your secret?
Our response: There is no secret. Just hard work and eating right.
Minsun Park is a blogger, writer and a black belt in taekwondo who gets her ass handed to her daily by her two sons. She’s written for iVillage, SheKnows, ePregnancy and is featured in “The Hot Mom’s Handbook” by Jessica Denay. She can also be found on Facebook and Twitter